AAA is the introduction to merit-based baseball in Nashua Cal Ripken. AAA is played on a 60’ base path and 46’ pitcher’s mound distance. The majority of the players in AAA will be 9 or 10-years-old. Experienced 8-year-olds may be on AAA teams if they meet all requirements.
In AAA players are introduced to more competitive play. Coaches continue to emphasize the development and use of good baseball mechanics for throwing, catching, fielding, and batting. Players also develop an increased understanding of how to play in different game situations. AAA provides a “real” baseball experience and prepares players for the higher level of competitive play in Majors.
Developmental Guidelines for AAA
Players entering AAA should be able to demonstrate the following skills:
- Players entering AAA should have command of the basic skills of baseball (fielding, catching, throwing, batting and base running). Players should also understand appropriate actions in game situations, such as when and where to make put-outs, how to steal bases, how to tag-up on fly balls, and how to execute cut-offs.
- Players who don’t meet the developmental guidelines for AAA, should remain in Minors for an additional season.
AAA Division Details
- Teams are drafted (selected) by the AAA managers using information from Player Assessments and evaluations from prior year coaches. AAA teams will include those 11 year-olds who either were not drafted onto Majors teams or chose to play in AAA.
- Games last a maximum of six innings or 120 minutes.
- Teams observe continuous batting; the batting order includes all players on the team.
- 9-10 defensive players may take the field during each half-inning.
- Players compete for positions and playing time, although every child in AAA plays a minimum of two defensive innings each game (1 infield, 1 outfield).
- No player shall sit out two innings in a row.
- Adult and teen umpires call AAA games.
- Regular season standings are not kept.
- AAA teams compete in an end of the season playoff tournament.
- Teams will typically have 1 practice and 1-2 games each week. The season, which begins in late April and ends in late June, includes approximately 12 games.